Thursday, January 8, 2009

Just an update...

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw up a few words because I don't think the pictures are cutting it. That and I'm currently down to one camera, but hopefully the battery charger comes in the post today.

Anyway, I'm currently living in Stratford above my dad and step mom's fine dining restaurant and bar. It's not a bad gig, but needless to say I think I've gained weight since I've been here. The town of Stratford is your picturesque backwards, cut-off-from-society, small farming town type place. Only 8900 people call this place home, and I don't know how they do it. There really isn't much to do though people do spend their whole lives here. It's definitely a big change from SoCal. Unfortunately this atmosphere seems to lead to unproductive and destructive lifestyles among the young people. You wouldn't think there would be gangs and crime in such a small, friendly place, but there is. The kids just have nothing to do besides drink and cause problems. Not quite sure what I can do to help at the moment, but we'll see.

The best part about Stratford is it's close proximity to countless trout streams. So ya, I've been going fly fishing nearly every day I've been down here. Information about the area isn't really Googleable so you've got to go out and check stuff out for yourself. I spend a good amount of time each day studying maps and planning routes and then going. And these places are straight beautiful. I suck at words but imagine how the best writer in the world would describe the most beautiful scenery he has ever seen. Ya, that's what it's like. Camera lenses and view finders couldn't possibly capture this truly wild place. But I'll keep trying...

So as to not spoil myself with adventure and leisure, I have decided to get a real job shortly. I've been helping out in the restaurant a bit but I'll soon be working up in New Plymouth at my dad's office. Not sure what exactly that entails but probably something in the oil inspection lab. It's only gonna be like a three day a week type thing so not too time consuming. Plus my dad runs the joint.

I also have many hikes, or tramps as they're called down here, tentatively planned. There's a mountain (Mt Egmont) glaring at me from my window just begging me to climb it. It's quite tantalizing actually as it's so close yet not within my reach yet. The plan is to do it next month with my dad. It's only 8,260 feet but it shoots up from sea level, so it looks humongous. It's the second tallest mountain on the North Island. There's also lots of 2-6 day hikes in the surrounding national park as well that I plan on doing. I figure I'll do all of them, why not? The only thing I'm kinda bummed about is that they require you to sleep in huts, which are sorta like back country cabins that have bunks and a roof. I really like sleeping under the stars in the dirt, so we'll see if I can avoid this hut situation. There are quite a few more hikes I want to do, but I figure I'll start these before I get into the more serious stuff.

Anyway, today I think I'm going to take it easy. I might go for a short bike ride and then a short hike, but that's about it. I should have more pictures posted here in the next day or so. Take care, internet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shane, hey take the bunk for sleeping inside the hut...I mean arnt thier big creatures over there? lol Either way, have fun with your adventure there whatever you decide to do and throw a shout out to your pops from me...thanks....and keep us all posted on things

    Uncle Frank

    ReplyDelete