Sunday, March 22, 2009

Just Updatin'

This blog lacks content, I know. I don't know why but I haven't really felt like blogging. Same old routine here in New Zealand, if you can call it old, but still certainly having a good time. I miss the city though, in a weird way. Not coming back early, but I can definitely say I'm looking forward to coming back. I miss you guys! Unfortunately and fortunately at the same time, I'm only going to be back for a week before I'm ack in the woods. The plan is to complete the 211 miles of the John Muir Trail in July. Can't wait, actually. The more I learn about this John Muir fellow the more I admire and envy him. Completing the JMT is certainly a fair way to honor his life and what he's done for wildernesses around the globe. Not to mention he was known to have a rockin' beard that I hope to emulate upon embarking on this mission.



I bought a car.

Photobucket

$1000NZ (about $500USD). Enough to get me around and plenty of room to sleep in the back.

I also bought a bike.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Not really a necessary purchase, I know, but I got an amazing deal on it. The drive train alone is worth more than I paid for it. The frame is in beautiful condition with incredible lugs. I really have no idea where it came from, and Google is no help, but it is certainly classy. The rest of the bike is either Italian or Japanese. I love it!

I also finally climbed the mountain. A few days before I decided to summit I was doing work with the Department of Conservation in Mt. Egmont national park. We did a bit of trail work and hut maintenance while it rained, hailed, and snowed on us for three days. With the 100km/h+ gusts it made for sketchy working conditions and we didn't as much done as we'd like. I was sort of planning on saving the summit until after I've done all the tracks in the park, but decided to just go for it before it got too icy. It was a nice climb, though much easier than I thought it would be. Listened to a little Thrice (all kidding aside Kozmo, Image of the Invisible is probably one of the best songs of our generation), Spoon, Ted Leo, and Hillsong United on the way up.

Here's a shot of the transition from track to route.

Photobucket

The sketchiest part of the climb was this section down into the crater.

Photobucket

A shot from inside the crater at a lava formation known as the Shark's Tooth. Check out all the windblown ice.

Photobucket

Great Success.

Photobucket

Other than climbing and hiking, I've still been doing quite a bit of fly fishing. Was able to snap this photo the other day. I think it's one of the best I've ever taken.

Photobucket

Just got back from fishing and boating in Lake Taupo last night. I'm now up in Auckland until this weekend. After that I'm off to the South Island and over to Australia. Won't be back down to Taranaki for about a month. Should be good times!

4 comments:

  1. Hey there Shane,
    What you going to the south island and Australia for?

    The JMT that is a trek my friend. Sounds like you got a lot on your plate for the next few months.

    Again looks like you are having a blast. Live it up buddy looking forward to seeing you again and I guess your beard.

    Went fishing today 4-5 foot seas wish a serious wind 20+knots. Well got about 30 casts for nothing then we headed back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude those are some awesome photos, and yes that is a great song. Very under rated. I am having a blast on the road, it is tough sometimes, but really stinking cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT stuff Shane! Man I could use a 500.00 car. I think I am going to blog about your car. Forget about the trout. All that said, when you post on my blog, please refrain from teasers like "...staring at the tail of an 8lb brown". I was going to buy you a drink ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADDENDUM: Ever seen that HUGE carving of John Muir off of the 99? Next time I'll get a photo. Just for you! *He was a hero for sure*

    ReplyDelete