Monday, May 4, 2009

Tongariro River

Went back to the Tongariro River again to chase trouts. Had a good couple hours a few weeks ago so I thought I'd give it another go. It's not really my style of fishing per se, but it's fun enough. I'm more of a spot, stalk, cast kinda guy where as this is a chuck heavy nymphs into deep pools kinda place. The fishing wasn't anything to write home about (ha), but it was enough to keep me interested. I got a bit of advice as to where to catch browns (I'd trade a dozen rainbows for a single brown) so that's where I spent most of my time. Being primarily a rainbow trout fishery, I was quite satisfied getting two browns. They weren't legendary double digit Taupo run trophies, but I ain't complainin'.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dawn break and dusk saw me chest deep in the river chucking flies. Duck season just started, so I was fortunate enough to have an alarm clock in the form of a shotgun shell exploding each morning.

Provisions

Photobucket

I eat lots of PB&J's. Too many, probably. After six or seven meals in a row I get a bit tired of them. In the end it works out though. The scenery and experiences more than make up for my food woes.

Cookie cutter rainbow

Photobucket

I caught a bunch around this size, about 20". I think I was getting comparably lucky, as I didn't see too many others catching. The trick was the power mend!

Back in Stratford now. Not sure where to next.

5 comments:

  1. This is not fair. You know those fish are not native right ;)
    This i snot fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this river has been good to you. you caught quite a few last month while I was there with you. Glad to see a brown even if it wasn't your trophy catch yet still. It will keep your interest to go back. be safe son and looking forward to you coming home.
    love mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice brown Shane
    ON a side note some guy caught a 28" long calico with a 22" girth. People in the know estimated it at 12lbs+. Where did he catch it you ask. Fishing from the rocks at night during a grunion run somewhere in LAGUNA. NICE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHOOT Dave. Can't wait to get out there again. You better be able to get out at the end of June!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum, glad you finally figured out how to comment. Ha!

    ReplyDelete