Sunday, February 1, 2009

A seed...

I was rereading a bit of The Search by Tom Brown, Jr. today over a flat white at the cafe, when I came to a paragraph that caused me to blurt the words "Oh Shit" out of my mouth. I never swear, especially out loud, but these words hit me like a ton of bricks:

The white man builds a shelter, and it becomes his prison. He shuts out the cleansing elements. He shuts out the sun, the wind, and the rain. He separates himself from the earth and refuses to budge. Therefore he is always sick.


How freakin' true is this? Can you even imagine life any other way? We surround ourselves with worldly comforts that do nothing but shelter our bodies and minds from reality. Do you know what reality is? I don't. I know what society's definition of reality is. We all do and we live it out to a T in our daily lives. Go to school, work, generate wealth, buy a nice car, buy a house, and live your life like the Jones'. Well I don't necessarily know better, and I've certainly lived in this pseudo reality all of my life, but I feel that there is more. More that we can't see. More that we refuse to feel. Maybe not refuse, but perhaps never give ourselves the opportunity to experience. I'm reminded of Matthew:

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


I sit here looking around my room wondering what I could do without. I really don't need anything of this to live. What would become of me if I didn't religiously go on the internet, or listen to my iPod, or read books? What if I knew no other way? Certainly I wouldn't die of boredom. Or would I, now that I know the comforts all these things bring me? What would I think if my thoughts weren't manufactured by this modern society? Knowing that my thoughts, values, lifestyle, etc, were all learned, how could I possibly discover who I truly am? If I was alone in the wild since I was born, what would I think is right or wrong, fun or boring, real or superficial? Is truly independent, original thought even possible when the very mechanism we use to process it is inherently not our own? Or is it? How do you know?

Sorry if you read this. I have a headache.

8 comments:

  1. If you like that passage check out Luke 14:25-33. I have been struggling over this a lot, but it makes a lot of sense too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are both great verses. Right now the economy is down in a big way. People losing their jobs and people are losing their homes due to bad decisions. Ties right in with Nathanaels verse. I personally have had these verses stuck in my head for a while now might as well share them while we are on the subject.

    Philippians 4:6-13
    (6) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (7) And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

    (8) Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (9) Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

    (10) I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. (11) I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. (12) I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (13) I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane posted this from the book.

    "He shuts out the cleansing elements. He shuts out the sun, the wind, and the rain. He separates himself from the earth and refuses to budge. Therefore he is always sick."

    Shane I am not as smart as you and dont read as much and have a hard time breaking stuff like this down without really trying. But I read the above phrase and immediately thought of Jawn. He shut out the sun (the Son of God) the wind (family) and the rain (friends). He separated himself from the earth (everybody else) and he refused to budge (ask for help). Therefore he is always sick (hurting). You know he ended living that way also.

    I think that statement is a statement of someone who cant let himself see or feel the reality of life. Just like you said. Basically the worlds def of reality is gonna be different from yours. I think you know what reality is Shane. You LOVE and FEAR God you go to heaven when this is done if you dont you will end up in hell for eternity. That is the only reality you, me and the rest of the world should really worry or even think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shane way off topic but you gotta check this out cut and past into browser

    http://www.swimbait.com/gallery/calico/photos/calico-wolf-pete-0014.jpg

    told there are hybrids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the verses homies, good stuff. Really hits home when you think about it. We all tend to pick and choose things from the Bible that we follow and forget others (often way tougher) that we some how deem unimportant. Faith like a child, oh how nice that would be.

    And Dave, I think about Jawn lots as well. I didn't know him like you did but things like that you just don't forget. Your interpretation of the paragraph out of context is quite spot on. The sun, rain, and wind are things that are REAL. Real. It's so hard to comprehend the significance of the state of being real. Truly authentic, pure, unbiased, free of flaws, straight God created and unchangeable. Yet we run from them. Refuse to experience absolute honesty. We enclose ourselves in walls, dress excessively, eat more than we need to, and completely separate ourselves from our God given planet. Tom Brown Jr's (a New Jersey dude taught by one of the last Apache scouts) books constantly mention how our society is so separated from the Earth. How we poison it and scar it with little regard. Those who lived here before us, the true Natives, flourished beyond our comprehension. No they didn't drive BMWs or even have electricity. But they knew things about themselves and life that we can't even begin to taste. Of course they weren't Christians (this is your chance, Mormons), but it's quite fascinating how closely their lifestyles resemble the life of Christ. This whole planet and its inhabitants were put here for us, yet it's not good enough. We feel like we deserve better. We deserve to eat rice in 2 minutes. We deserve to get to place to place without moving a muscle. The further how technology takes us, the more we think that we're the boss. That we control our own Fate and we can do whatever we want. It's quite tragic. I wish I was uncomfortable. I wish I had nothing. Most of all, I wish I knew myself. Like really, truly knew myself, the way God created me to be. The way I would be if I wasn't "blessed" to be born into this lavish modern society. I want to struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Zealand brings out the philosopher in you, my friend. And your philosophizing is spot-on. We wealthy Westerners surround ourselves with so much material junk that most of us have no idea what "real life" really is. It's really a shame that the American Dream essentially says "Become independently wealthy, purchase property, live in said property while continuing to accumulate wealth, then die." That's no way to live. I know I say this often, but I am so stoked for you to be on this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm stoked too, and hope to spend countless more hours thinking about junk that hardly anyone seems to think about these days. The American Dream is hardly a dream in my eyes. I pity those who are consumed by that false reality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Shane,
    Okay I know this comment is a little late. Dave A. my brother-in-law just showed me your Blog. Off the topic...those are some nice fish. Back on the topic...those are some great thoughts. I really appreciate your logic process. I believe most Christians don't even want to process this kind of thought. They might have to change their life. I went down this path myself. I wanted the life that God originally planned for mankind after getting tired of what the world was cramming down my throat. I discovered beauty and brilliance everywhere in Gods creation. The only problem that I eventually found is this is not the world that God intended. After the fall of man, sin entered the world and everything changed. Life is and will be hard. I soon found out that my journey to shed what the world told me was good to find out what God originally intended for man...the real reason for my search was for self happiness. I was still living for myself no matter what direction I took. It was only when I gave up my life to live it for the one who gave his life for me, that I found satisfaction wether I was out flyfishing by myself or living in an inner city. Thay is why Paul wrote that he has learned to be content no matter where he finds himself, rich or poor, in prison or free...you fill in the blank....material goods or out in nature.
    So if I am not living for the things that bring ME happiness. Then I must live for the things that bring HIM happiness. What does the Bible tell us that bring HIM happiness...the very reason that he died on the cross, to save and reconcile people back to himself. Jesus's parables always show heaven having a party or big feast whenever just one soul is saved. I found a happines that I cannot explain when I am used by God for His will. I found as soon as I stop striving for self happiness, and sacrifice my life instead, He gives me happiness.
    That is what he meant when Jesus Christ said " he who tries to save his life will lose it. And he who loses his life for my sake, will gain it."

    ReplyDelete